Novo Energy: Wind power project ensures sustainable electricity supply

Swedish automaker Volvo Cars is cooperating with domestic renewable energy developer Eolus on the Västvind offshore wind power project off the coast of Gothenburg. The aim of the partnership is to supply electricity to the joint battery factory with Northvolt in Gothenburg and Volvo Cars in Hisingen.

Offshore wind power is the only energy source that can deliver the required amount of new electricity generation in the region by 2030. Western Sweden’s ambitions to become a center for battery manufacturing, electrified vehicles, and climate-friendly port logistics require a significant increase in regional renewable energy. In this respect, Västvind can be crucial, explains Per Witalisson, CEO of Eolus.

Other automakers are also pursuing similar plans. Mercedes-Benz plans to meet a quarter of its German electricity needs from offshore wind energy from 2027 and aims to source 70 percent of its energy needs from renewable sources by 2030.

Västra Götaland currently has a shortage of electricity generation, and demand is expected to double by 2030. The Västvind wind power project has the potential to generate 4 to 4.5 terawatt hours of renewable electricity annually, which is equivalent to the current demand of the entire city of Gothenburg. Construction on the project is scheduled to begin in 2027 and be completed by 2029. Eolus has a 95 percent stake in the project, while the Gothenburg Port Authority owns the remaining 5 percent.

Source: https://splash247.com/volvo-signs-up-for-offshore-wind-power/

Newsletter

Hinweise zum Artikel

Empfehlung

  • All Post
  • Battery Development
  • Battery Material
  • Battery Production
  • Battery Recycling
  • Nicht kategorisiert
  • Top-Story EN
  • Uncategorized
Future Battery Forum 2024
Geladen – Der Batterie-Podcast

Battery News © 2023 | Imprint | Privacy Policy

Scroll to Top